Saturday 28 October 2017

Sweet Potato Pie



I have been very busy lately taking care of my grandchildren and spring cleaning which is a task once started can't be stopped. I am trying to live light upon the Earth and our home has too much stuff. The dilemma being if you get rid of stuff it has to go somewhere. So your not really living light because you are moving stuff away from you and it has to either A ... end up in landfill or B .... in another home. The goal is just to buy less but the problem is we have already consumed way more than we need along the way. Therefore in my pursuit of living light I try create as little waste as possible in our consumption of food.  I often cook up everything in the fridge so that it won't go off and then I distribute this to my children so they don't need to cook a meal at the end of their working day. This is called a 'Love  Drop' because for me when someone cooks for you they are showing you they love and care for you.
This sweet potato pie is a lovely meal to have as dinner or lunch you can serve it with a side salad. Nutritious and filling I hope you enjoy it.


SWEET POTATO PIE (recipe from Amy Crawford)
Makes one large family pie
Waste produced (plastic from cheese)
Composted all peelings

1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
1.5 cups water
1 large sweet potato, cooked and mashed
2 zucchini's grated
1 medium onion
2 carrots, grated
1 cup hard cheese grated
4 eggs lightly beaten
1/3 cup sunflower seeds (i used a seed mix that I already had on the shelf)
1/3 cup currants (I did not add this as I don't like them in cooking)
2 teaspoons coconut oil (I used olive oil as I already had that)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon tumeric
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large handful of fresh parsley chopped (I used some spinach that was in the fridge)
A good pinch black pepper



METHOD

1. Cook the quinoa in a small saucepan with the water. Bring gently to the boil and reduce the heat and simmer with the lid on for about 12 minutes or until the water is absorbed. Remove from the heat and leave the lid on for 5minutes. Fluff with a fork.
2. Place all of the ingredients into a bowl.
3. Add the quinoa and mix it all up.
4. Put into a baking dish and cook on 180 degrees for about 40-50 minutes or until the top is golden brown. 

This is a quick and easy meal that I am sure you will love...... and thanks for stopping by Eco Granny.



No comments:

Post a Comment